Monday, July 30, 2012

Ifugao: The Young Mountaineers



On a sunny morning in June, my thoughts to do the things I love to do most, travelled through the air and reached those cold mountains of the famous rice terraces of the Philippines. I love to G.I.V.E. – that’s Give Intensely Victoriously Enthusiastically. I do it randomly, secretly. And this is the first time I am sharing it. To inspire and to influence. Because I remember when I was in my youth, giving was my happiest moments. 






I am not rich in money.  But I am rich in ideas on how to give. And why give. I have been telling before that I did not want to get stuck. I did not want my dreams and desires to give to get strangulated just in my heart and in my thoughts. And be limited. So I began to open my palms and give whatever I have. Until it leaves my palms empty. And my heart filled with joy. Nothing beats that happiness.  I have always believed that what I have now is not really mine after all. But the more I give up what I have, the more I get abundance. And you just know where it is all coming from.

I have a regular job. I always think that I need to have money to be able to help and give.  And share my blessings. Because I am drenched with so much that I cannot contain. It is overflowing. It is more than enough. And the aspiration to give becomes greater.

I am guilt-less when I have more. Because I know I deserve. And all I can say is thank you so much that I am blessed.

And though I am still amazed on how my thoughts to give travelled to Ifugao, I felt the call. Then without much ado, I was there unexpectedly. The zigzags and the landslide prone road will never stop me from doing it.

When we touched down at Hapao in Hungduan, Ifugao, the smiles of the kindergartens were refreshing just like the mini-waterfalls that we passed by. And all I could say was “oh-emgee!”  Because you just feel that delight. And this is it. It will happen. No turning back.



After their spontaneous surprise singing, the teachers were pointing to us another school situated on top of another hill. We walked through the ascending rice paddies, a part of their rice terraces.

There it was. A school, whose pupils walk from their houses in a mountain, 3 mountains away from my sight.




Then we went to Mayoyao. The main road is that road you take when you see the rice terraces of Batad. The view was breath taking. It was a rice terraces overload. Through rough roads and soaring cliffs and ravines, we reached the school that was 150 meters above the cemented road. The pupils walk from their house, 2 hour-muddy road away.



With so much enthusiasm to reach out, we arrived at another town of Ifugao, Alfonso Lista. The school’s name was not cheerful, but it really is a name of a native bamboo. The rolling hills would be a very inspiring view from the windows of the classrooms of the pupils, I thought. 


Then I learned that at the bottom of those hills is where their houses are located. And that they have to walk thirty minutes on muddy soil going to their schools, carrying their pencils and notebooks in the famous plastic bags, during the rainy days that happen within the 8 months of the year. The schoolchildren protect their notebooks from the rains. And would rather get themselves get drenched, than their school things being soaked. There was this school where it would entail a 3 hour-trek to reach it.

In 2010, when i started to GIVE, the pupils in the barrios told me that what they really needed are pencils, notebooks, and pad paper. Their innocence tells me what they need. They would never ask for more.



The mountains, mini-waterfalls and rice terraces leave me empty in serenity. Breathless. How many more rice terraces, rice fields and hills do I have to walk on just to reach the schools where these children of Ifugao go to? How many more cliffs do I have to pass by? Only to learn that their houses are on the other side of that mountain, and beyond those clouds?

Hail to the teachers who drive learning for these children. That is how much they care when they tell us, please also include that cluster school on that other side. And when you look at where they are pointing, that would be out f my sight, truly far and foggy. 

Please give them raincoats and umbrellas. 

Please give them notebooks and papers so that they can practice to write their names. 

Please give them slippers. Look at their slippers. 

Please give them bags. They use plastic bags. 

Please give them pencils. They have half-pencils. (Where one pencil is broken into half and shared by two pupils). 

Hearing all these, I can only say a big “YES!” For 500 pupils. But deep inside me, I was praying to be blessed with people’s kindness and generosity. Because that is the only way. I cannot do it all by myself this time, unlike solo travelling. Of course, never. I never did any giving only by myself. I believe that these initiatives are best shared with sincerity and pure hearts. And I am glad to organize the GIVE Ifugao together with some travel blogger volunteers.


I never thought that I would go to Ifugao so soon. Not this way. I thought I would be seeing the famous nature wonder, rice terraces, when I go backpacking this place. But that was a heart warming visit. More than rice terraces, mini-waterfalls, and rolling hills and sleeping in the native houses, is happiness overload. 

And this is just the beginning. And this is more than giving. This is about motivating children to learn, write, read, count and have fun in school. That their 2 hour-hiking just to learn will give them so much more later on. And that when they mature, they will realize what a wonderful place Ifugao is that is incredibly valuable of preservation. Hail to Ifugao's Young Mountaineers, for their passion to learn!

**********************************************

The event is set to happen on
November 29, 30 Dec 1, 2, 2012.


Your share can be deposited to:

Hazel Ramos Go
BPI Checking Account: 9020000446

We shall announce where you
can drop donations in kind like:

 Raincoats and slippers for
Pre-School to Grade 2; bags, pencils, writing notebooks, pad paper for Grades 1 &2.

The above are what they really need.

**Thank you so much to Miguel
of http://biyahengpalos.blogspot.com/ , for coming along. 

9 comments:

KULAPITOT said...

WOW gusto ko mag GIVE .. NICE POST !

Journeying Pinay said...

Thank you. :)

Unknown said...

Always nice to see smiles on kids' faces. Must work together to conserve that smile or they end up like me :)

Journeying Pinay said...

you still look lovely without the smile Marky! you look more handsome when you smile, though. Agree on keeping these kids smiling all through out :)

Anonymous said...

Got the bank account number. :) Very inspiring m'!

Dave said...

very inspiring post. have spread the word
http://www.scoop.it/t/philippine-travel/p/3114254472/journeying-pinay-ifugao-the-young-mountaineers

Anonymous said...

woow... so happy for that!! what municipality/barangay ibigay mga donations...?keep it up...GOD BLESS...

Journeying Pinay said...

thank you juan pablo.

dave. thank you for sharing.

anonymous. :D we gave to hapao, hungduan, tulaed mayoyao, alfonsolista caragasan and kiling schools. god bless.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.