Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Photographer


To friends who have been commenting: “Ang galing ng photographer mo!” “May travel buddy ka na!” and who have been asking: “Who is your travel buddy?” “Who takes your photos?” “What’s your slr?” – I would like to introduce to you my photographers.

Meet Carl. He has watched those gigantic windmills in Bangui, Burgos, Ilocos Norte. He went up the Cape Bojeador, too. And he has seen that very beautiful ocean view from the lighthouse. He took photos of those sunrises in Ilocos. He took photos of the beaches in Claveria and Pagudpud. Sad that those photos have been lost. 

Aside from his up north adventures, he went over-seas to take a photo of each of the hundred islands, including “Kawawa Island” (pity-ful island because it was all alone, so far away from the many others). 

at Hundred Islands, Pangasinan



It was Carl who went to those beaches in Boracay. Also,  Carl went to Naga and interfaced with the deers; to CWC in Camarines Sur. He went to Legazpi to see the beautiful Mount Mayon. He island hopped to Caramoan Island. There, Carl was splashed with some salt water. 

at Deer Farm, Naga


In Kulapit Cave, Carl got tired, and did not glow its flash anymore. He retired. He is my Sony Cybershot.

Carl


Then came along, unexpectedly, is Canix. It took me a long time before I brought along Canix with me to photograph me and my travels. He got stuck in my room. Since Carl was still taking the shots. I take one at a time. So when Carl retired, Canix approach to photography was more exciting. He went boating at the Cagayan River. He went to Callao Caves and all the other caves above it and near it. He went body boarding in Sentinela. He went spelunking in Sagada caves. And trekked to see the splendid Pongas falls & Bomod-ok falls.  

at Sumaguing Cave, Sagada, Benguet


Canix was a jetsetter. He went to Singapore and had crazy fun rides at Universal Studios.  He traveled to Puerto Princesa, El Nido, Dumaguete, Siquijor, Cagayan de Oro, Camiguin, Cebu, Camotes Island. He trekked 6 hours to and from Mount Pinatubo Crater Lake. 

at Mount Pinatubo Crater Lake


Canix would tandem with Pow. If Canix would take his day off in the middle of the day, Pow would continue the sightseeing. Until Canix just went off, permanently. His lens got stuck taking photos at Camotes Island. It was complaining inside with that weird sound. So I brought Canix for overhaul. He is still having his makeover. Canix is my Canon Ixus, Pow is the Canon Powershot.

Canix


Since Pow is just a borrowed photographer. And now that I don’t have a mainstay photographer, there are some who tag along. Like Kodie who went to Calayan Island. He took my videos in Nagudungan Hills. But I don’t know him well. He is a Kodak. I already returned it to the owner. Another who usually tags along is Richard. He is run by rechargeable batteries. He went to Calayan Island too. He is an old canon, my mom bought in Japan. I just borrow it from my mom.

at Calayan Island


My photographers mastered the custom 10-30 seconds 10 shots. They experienced being swept by the winds, being rolled over the big rocks by the falls, being water-proof like, being splashed with sea waters, being eaten by white sands, being on top of trashcans, on branches of trees, and fences. They have scars all over! 

Casaroro Falls, Valencia, Negros Oriental


Until such time that Trip came along. Trip would support them. Until it lost its leg. As Trip also experienced being rolled over the big rocks by the waterfalls. But Trip is loyal even without its extended leg.

Berry sometimes pitched in. When all photographers grew tired. She is usually held by strangers so that I can be documented well. But I just gave up Berry to buy a bike. J She is Blackberry Curve. Apple, the Ipad2, is also an alternate photographer.

Since I am solo, Trip had been so supportive. Trip used to live in a Japanese Store in Greenhills. He is a mini tripod.

But during those times when I have not yet found Trip, who were my photographers? Boatmen, Tour Guides, Children, Strangers. I would say they have a good eye. Sometimes I had to tell them how to do it. And let them take that worm’s view. Then I also take their photo. I am so grateful for these kind strangers. There was also a time in Singapore, when a foreigner approached me and volunteered to take my photos. Often, when I see solo travellers, I volunteer to take their photos. Or when they are a couple, I tell them that their picture together is lovelier. So I become their photographer. And I could not forget that time in El Nido, when a hunk got out from the beach and stopped swimming, just to tell me: “Hi, I can help you with that.” He was so cute. That I think is what I cannot forget. Ahaha. 


at Cagayan River, with Jun the boatman


at Siquijor, with Joam, the tour guide


at Buntun Bridge, Tuguegarao, Cagayan


Most often, I take my own pictures. Say that again? Yes, most of my photos-where I am in it, were taken by only me.

It had been a month since I started thinking of getting another photographer. I have interviewed Canon 1100D, Pentax mirrorless, and some others. Until now, I am camera-less. That brochure from the Canon shop is posted in the wall of my room. And I have interviewed Canon 1100D many times.

What’s taking me long to get a bigger camera? I already carry a 30L backpack which I don’t check in. I have a belt bag. And soon, will bring the folding bike I just bought. How do I bring a big camera inside the caves, when I rappel, when I crawl? Sourgraping. Ahaha. 

I want a bigger photographer. The one who can take a beautiful photo of the full moon and the night sky; the one who can take a full view of a wide horizon; the one which can capture what my eyes see: That night view of the full moon and Baguio City with those star-like lighted houses along Marcos Highway. That full moon view at Camotes Island. That bonfire fiesta along Claveria beach. Now they remain in my memory. I wanted to take better photos. Better than the already beautiful photos I have taken. But am sure he will not be exempted from the sands and the seawaters. 

 I want that red big camera. It is actually just seconds away from me.

So who will take my photos in my next journey? I, Me & Myself, as usual. And maybe still, Canix. and some borrowed cameras.

I rest my case. Now you know.

I need to convince me more to bring in a bigger photographer in my travels.The real camera.  And maybe a real photographer. (wink). So help me God. J


Enjoy Life!
Journeying Pinay

2 comments:

Admin/Author said...

I tell you solemnly, a big and bulky photographer is an excess baggage. Haha!

TREKERO said...

for sure, you haven't met yet your paparazzi photographer when writing this article...