Sunday, October 16, 2011

Claveria: The Lagoon and the Rock Formations in Taggat






Taggat is one of the barangays in Claveria. It is a 5-minute ride from the town’s market. There is a terminal of tricycle going to Taggat in which you pay a P14.00 Fare.






When I arrived, I knew I was early. And it was better. As I have the Lagoon all by myself (and the fishermen.) There are several bancas. I was not so early after all. The fishermen are already cleaning up their fishnets. And all the bancas are “parked” by the shore. 



Nevertheless, I looked around and saw few people. Usually, this place becomes crowded during Holy Week and weekends, for reunions and celebrations. 

There are big rock formations and one big rock in the center. It was called lagoon because there are rocks enclosing the water from the beach. The big waves are crashed into the big rocks making the water stable in the lagoon, making it better for swimming or wading, especially for children.



I talked to some fishermen and negotiated for a boat ride to Lakay Lakay Rock Formation. Lovely, the banca owned by Willie, assisted by Nixon, was the lucky boat going on a sight-seeing with me. I overheard another fisherman talking to another, “Let’s join, so that we can also enjoy!” They see this every day, but maybe it was work for them. He did not join. Maybe he was shy.
The boatmen asked me, “How many?” I answered, “Just me.” Yes, I was doing it solo, with my two boatmen.
Off we went. The waves are manageable, at first. I was just being courageous and fighting my fear of the ocean. But since it was a sunny day, fishermen have gone fishing, and there were a few bancas in the ocean, I knew it was safe. 




I don’t know how deep where we were, but I think I can see dead corals beneath.
After few minutes, there it was, Lakay Lakay and Baket Baket Rock Formations. As we approached, I was awed that the boatmen had to remind me to take photos. 



These are legendary rock formations. Lakay Lakay stands for the husband while Baket Baket is  wife. Ubing Ubing, the child, also a rock formation, is at the other side of the beach, near the beach in Sentinela.

The story is that the family grew rich through fishing. One day, Lakay Lakay met an old man on the road on his way from fishing. The old man asked Lakay Lakay for fish but he was arrogant and selfish. At home, the old man again begged for food, but the couple did not give the old man food. The old man threatened the couple. Incidentally, the son of the couple wandered around. The couple looked for him. They found their son at the other end of the beach and turned into a rock. The wife believed that it is because of the husband’s greediness. Afterwhich, the husband turned into a rock, too. And so was the wife. The Lakay Lakay and Baket Baket stand beside each other at Taggat Lagoon.



At the shore, these rocks were so small. But as I came nearer, they were majestic, huge, and like giants and real people. These are the people rock formations that guide the fishermen day and night. The family becomes the guardian of the fishermen in the ocean. The sun usually sets at dusk at the Lakay Lakay Rock Formation. This is usually seen when you are at the wider part of the beach, near the market, or which they call Centro or “ili”.

I was looking for live corals beneath. Then the boatmen told me we cannot go near that area, pointing to a part of the beach near the hill. It was because near the rock formations are a marine sanctuary. According to the boatmen, a permit is needed to dive or get nearer to that area. Since I did not have the permit, I just wondered how it looked like under the sea.




It was a short 1-hour, cheap boat ride for P300.00. It has always thrilled me to ride a boat. I used to be afraid. But I knew what I was missing that’s why I had to be brave enough. The waves did not intimidate me anymore. I was happy with what my eyes captured.
I knew I was going to be okay. Lakay Lakay and Baket Baket were watching as we went towards the shore. I looked back, and around.




I really do not believe in legends. But the story of the rock formations teaches us to share and be helpful. Learning this, I appreciate more these Wonderful God’s creations. And what they stand for.

This made my Taggat Lagoon Adventure more unforgettable.

24 comments:

admin said...

The place is interesting and so as the legend.

Journeying Pinay said...

Thanks Dar. Come and visit.

Pinoy Adventurista said...

ang ganda ng mga rock formations... reminds me of Diguisit Beach in Aurora... :)

Journeying Pinay said...

Yes, the rock formations are majestic once you are near them. they look more of a King & Queen. that is how they "reign" in the ocean. Thanks for reading, Pinoy Adventurista. See the place and experience. :)

Bonzenti [Con Tour] said...

Nice legendary myth about the Lakay Lakay at Baket Baket. :-). That myth can be translated into life's practice with regards greediness. We should balance benevolence and generosity.

IndieEscape said...

What a nice place to visit! Bravo to your boat men also, for a memorable ride :D

Journeying Pinay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Journeying Pinay said...

Yes, the boatmen are nice and simple. It was indeed a memorable ride.
Enjoy Life Indie Escape.

Journeying Pinay said...

Hi Bonzenti. Thanks for the comment. That is so true, that legend is full of values. Enjoy Life!

Elal Lasola said...

Nag aadik ako sa beaches ngayon :P Anong province tong Claveria? Sounds unfamiliar for someone not living in the Metro. :)

Journeying Pinay said...

hi Elal. Claveria is near Pagudpud. It is in the province of Cagayan Valley.

busyok said...

nice place captured with great photography.

Journeying Pinay said...

Thanks busyok. :D

Gabz said...

Ang ganda ng lugar. Yung rock formations remind me of Caramoan naman. :)

Journeying Pinay said...

caramoan has a different beauty. this is a simple ocean :D quiet. but beautiful. Thanks Gabz.

escape said...

dumadami na nga pumupunta doon. a great add to those going north.

Journeying Pinay said...

Thanks Dom :)) just few zigzag minutes away from patapat.

palos said...

babalik ako.. sa taggat naman at sa bantay kalbo.. haha..

Journeying Pinay said...

sure. savor. enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Journeying Pinay, you are amazing!! Thanks for the ride down memory lane

Journeying Pinay said...

thanks. :)

Unknown said...

Ang ganda! :-D punta tayo dito sa summer! :-)

gelaikuting said...

Ang ganda! Thanks for sharing :)

Rey Danh said...

Kaka miss ang lagoon natin! Most likely ginagawang tambayan talaga to pag nagkikita kami ng mga highschool mates ko :)